If you are still not yet marketing on the web then you are missing on a big chunk of the market. Remember:
- “Over 50% of the population is below 30 years old“
- “Facebook, YouTube, QQ and WhatsApp has a bigger population than China and India“
- “93% of buying decisions are influenced by Social Media”. I would like to highlight on the word “Influenced” and not purchased or bought.
For people to patronize your business they must at least know it exists. People today use Search Engines, such as Google, to decide what to buy or where to go (ex. Restaurants in Quezon City). In the hundreds and thousands of businesses that will come out in that list, people will just look at the top 3 or at most the first page of the search. How do you get yourself on the top of the list? Search Engines rank their listing based on popularity, such as the number of unique visitors to your website. Thus, you need to make your website popular and visited regularly .
There are several activities to promote your website, such as:
- The content of your website is what would make people visit it, thus create attractive content. As the video mentioned, “80% of our mobile consumption is video” and remember a gold fish now has a longer attention span than humans.
- To Blog is to regularly update your website so people will come back. How often is regular? Well how often do you visit your favorite Social Media? But for a business, you must come out with daily updates or weekly at the most.
- Do Social Media Marketing to invite people to visit your website because that is where the traffic is. Do not ask people to visit your FB page, you are just contributing to the popularity of Facebook and not your website.
- Use the different Search Engine Optimization activities to make it at the top 3 of a search engine. Visit this site, https://support.google.com/webmasters/answer/7451184?hl=en, to learn from Google itself how you can make your website rank.
- And the long proven way of promoting your product, advertise. Compared to the classic tri-media (TV, Radio and Print), the Internet is becoming more popular. One advantage of Digital Advertising to Traditional Advertising is you can target the specific market you want to reach and at the same time accurately monitor your ads.
So what really is Digital Marketing? Digital Marketing is using the World Wide Web to do the classic marketing activities to promote your products and services through a website. Where in the old marketing you use Tri-Media (TV, Radio and Print), in Digital Marketing you are using the World Wide Web.
Is Facebook a Sales or Marketing Tool? Catch my answer next week as I continue my discussion on Digital Marketing.